If i have a warrent for misdemeanor violation of probation will i get stopped leavin the country??

Asked almost 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

i still have my passport an was not told i couldnt leave when was on it

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Brett Nicholls Metcalf

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It's kind of a crap shoot on your part. You may get stopped on your way out. You're more likely to get stopped coming back through customs. But any law enforcement officer that conducts a warrants check will have the authority to detain you. Best to handle the VOP before you leave.

  2. John Paul Thygerson


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unlikely that you will be stopped leaving but quite possibly will be stopped re-entering the country.

  3. Brandon M Daniels

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not typically. It is always best to contact a criminal defense attorney in your jurisdiction and give them the full list of particular facts that surround your particular set of circumstances. Ask them about the state that you are leaving the country from and re-entering it into.

  4. Jeffrey David Boston


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I recently handled a matter like yours. A woman from Central Florida went on a cruise via Cape Canaveral. She departed for 7 days, came back, and was handcuffed in front of everyone upon her return.

    Why was she handcuffed and jailed? She failed to appear for a court hearing 21 years earlier!

    I agree that you should not expect to be stopped on your way out. You likely will be stopped - and thoroughly embarrassed - upon your return.

    Jeff Boston Legal (321.795.4232)
  5. Gerald Laverne Wilkerson II


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You might. It depends on whether or not customs runs a background check. Imagine how you'd feel if you couldn't come back in because of the warrant. If this is your first violation, and you have a reasonable explanation, the Judge will probably reinstate your probation. You should consult with an attorney and fix this problem before trying to leave the country. Because leaving the country may be seen by the Judge as a blatant violation of your probation, and will just make matters worse in the long run.

    The answers given by this attorney are for educational and information purposes only and do not constitute legal... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Misdemeanor DUI

A misdemeanor DUI, which carries lesser penalties than a felony DUI, is the charge most people will be facing if they are arrested for DUI.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,204 answers this week

3,574 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,204 answers this week

3,574 attorneys answering