If I have a missed court date warrant in Dupage County will I be able to get a state ID or License?

Cicero, IL |

Will the secretary o state pull up the warrant when I attemt to renew my license or obtain a valid state ID?

It depends upon the purpose of the warrant. Go get the warrant taken care of before you try to renew your license.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.

Generally, the state DMV does not run a check on any outstanding warrant for any DMV visitors, however, if you find yourself in any traffic stop or predicament, even a cursory routine check will result in your immediate custodial arrest and you will spend a considerably longer time in custody than you will like, unless you expeditiously retain a counsel to quash and recall the ensued warrant that has no shelf life.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Here is another reason to take care of the warrant. Murphy's Law of Warrants states that warrants will always be served and executed at the most inopportune possible time. Think, honeymoon, brand new, great job, date with the girl of your dreams, child's grade school graduation and always at a time when you do not have the bond money on you. By acting proactively, you get to decide when you are facing the warrant and you can go armed with bond money and, if you wish, a lawyer.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Cannot agree more with that excellent point.