If i have a misdemeanor warrant from another state with no bail can I take care of it here?

Asked about 1 year ago - Puyallup, WA

I have a misdemeanor warrant from another state with no bail because it is a probation violation for not reporting, can I turn myself in here in washington to take care of the warrant? The state I have the warrant from said i can pay off probation to complete probation so I was going to make payments to them but I need to take care of the warrant first

1. Scott John Terry

3

Answered . Each State has different protocols on how they deal with warrants, and oftentimes each court within a state. You should contact an attorney familiar with the court that issued the warrant. He or she would know the options available to you. It wouldn't hurt to bring yourself current on any obligations to the court in the meantime.

Responses to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney -client relationship.
  2. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

3

Answered . You should contact an attorney from the state in which the warrant was issued. They may be able to lift the warrant, but you would probably still need to go there to take care of the case itself.

3. James Donald Garrett

3

Answered . If it's a probation violation for absconding (not reporting), it may be more difficult. Many courts do not even bother docketing the case and prosecutors are not assigned to the case until the person is picked up and in custody. Each state is different, but you would need to speak to an attorney in the state where the warrant is active.

I am licensed to practice law in VA, not your state. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; therefore, my response may be wrong or irrelevant. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions. Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated.

James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
    jd@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service