Skip to main content

If i have a judgement against me, can i make an offer to settle for less if i am able to make one time payment to resolve it

Deltona, FL |

have 2 judgements and would like to resolve them for less then i owe, i cannot afford the full amount

Should i retain an attorney to do the negotiations on my behalf????

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Certainly you can make an offer. You need to arrive at a deal where you pay what you can and they file a satisfaction of judgment. Otherwise they can just take the money and keep hounding you for the rest. It will be up to them whether they take the deal or not.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/reader and The Law Offices of Jimmy Allen Davis, P.L.. We encourage and welcome you to contact us about your legal problems and visit our website at or email me at

  2. Consult with an attorney to make sure any agreed upon payment is the final resolution.

    Bonnie Riggens
    Law Office of Bonita M. Riggens
    669 1st Ave. N.
    St. Petersburg, FL 33701
    Phone: 727-898-1401
    Fax: 727-823-7351

    Business and Contract Law, Noncompete Agreements, Severance Agreements and Negotiations, Defamation law, Discrimination law (Age, Disability, Gender, Pregnancy, National Origin, Race, Religion), EEOC investigations and mediations, Family and Medical Leave Act law, Federal & State Employee law, State Licensing law, Overtime Law. Privacy Law, Retaliation and Whistleblower Law, Sex Harassment law, Unemployment Compensation law, Unpaid Wages law, USERRA law. Additional representation: Appellate Law, Personal Injury law

  3. You absolutely can make offers to settle for less. You want to make sure that if you reach an agreement with a creditor that you obtain a full release agreement. A lawyer would be very helpful in respect to negotiating on your behalf and making sure that the release agreement is correctly drafted to protect you.