Skip to main content

If I have a child can human services put us in a foster home?

Pueblo, CO |

I'm a 16 year old mother with a job and I'm currently in online schooling.My father is verbally and mentally abusive and I have text messaging proof that he is.He also has entire custody of me. I'm thinking of calling up The Department of Human Services but I'm afraid we'll go to a foster home. Could I stay with my boyfriend if I had a choice between foster care and a relative?

Attorney Answers 3


This is a really difficult position. So sorry to read of it. DHS can indeed place you and your child in foster care.

Where is your mom?

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment



shes very unstable she got her other children taken away and now currently lives under one of the bridges downtown.


You and your child could be put in foster care, hopefully together. They choose who you stay with. It would be a family. It would NOT be your boyfriend, that is certain. They would look at a relative first that they think that they could trust and then look second at a foster family.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Yes, you and your child could be placed in foster care, hopefully together. Do you have any other other family they could place you with?

Ms. Riley may be reached at 347-501-8042 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Riley's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Riley is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics