Skip to main content

If I have possession of cocaine and I have a green card can I live and come back with no problem

Key West, FL |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

In1998 I Wes arrested for a possession of cocaine can I apply for a passport I have a clean record since then can I travel without a problem can anybody recommend a good lawyer

Attorney Answers 3


If you get convicted of possessing of cocaine, you could be deported.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

13 lawyers agree


A conviction for possession of cocaine makes you deportable and inadmissible to the United States. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your criminal and immigration histories and advise you about your case. It is inadvisable to travel before doing so.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Review Mr. Devore's Avvo Profile for more information about his expertise in immigration law and how to contact him to discuss your case.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I believe your question is whether you can naturalize as US Citizen despite your cocaine possession arrest. My first question would be whether you were convicted (this includes an ¨adjudication withheld¨disposition) and, if so, the date of your conviction. I would not travel if I were you, as a conviction for cocaine possession would render you inadmissible. Even if you were not convicted, you may have issues with your N-400 and admissibility. I suggest you have a personal consultation with an immigration lawyer experienced in matters relating to the immigration consequences of criminal activity. This way you can explore your options and make an informed decision. Best of luck to you.

Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only. We are a full-service immigration and criminal defense law firm, representing clients in all 50 states and worldwide. Kristy Figueroa-Contreras, Esq.,, NEGRI, TORRES & FIGUEROA-CONTRERAS, PA, The Minorca, Suite 214, 2030 South Douglas Road, Miami, FL 33134, Tel. (305) 639-8599. Hablamos español. Falamos português.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics