If I had a year apt. lease & had to break the lease because of non payment & they re-rented am I still liable for balance ?

Las Vegas, NV |

Had to leave because I could not continue because of lack of money & they re-rented the apt.
Am I still liable for balance of lease?

They must attempt to re-lease to "mitigate" their damages.

If the unit is full, they need to deduct the income from that from the amount you owe--but keep in mind, the amount you owe includes their costs in re-leasing--cleaning, search, etc.

However, if they still have empty units in the apartment that could have been rented, you may still be on the hook. They can't collect more in total breach payments than units (e.g., they can't charge 5 breached leases in full with only three empty apartments).

I've also found that most people in this situation are on the down ward slide towards bankruptcy; you should evaluate your total finances at this time, and see if your attempts to pay things are only postponing the inevitable.

You can generate a mathematical equation:

(Lease liability) - (rent payments during term from other party) = (Actual liability to landlord)

The only period you would be liable for is when the unit was empty during the term of your lease. Also, the landlord has a duty to try to rent out the unit. They cannot simply let the unit sit empty and try to collect the rent from you.

I agree with Mr. Hawkins. Your liability will be calculated based on the total number of vacant units as well as the rent received from a new tenant. Many people wait longer than they should before consulting a bankruptcy lawyer and lose assets that would otherwise be protected from creditors in a bankruptcy. I encourage you to consult with a bankruptcy attorney if you are struggling to pay your current obligations. Waiting may put you in a worse position after a bankruptcy.

Disclaimer If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney. The answers to questions submitted on this site do not constitute a solicitation or the provision of legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney licensed or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, the answers provided should not be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel. You should always consult a suitably qualified attorney regarding any specific legal problem or matter. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on this response and disclaims all liability in respect to such information. The response to your question is not intended to and does not create an attorney-client relationship and does not constitute legal advice. No information you provide through this website is protected by attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship can only be created by the mutual assent of both parties and only after a consultation. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd cannot agree to be retained as counsel until a conflict-of-interest check is completed and a written engagement and fee agreement provided by The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd is signed. If you choose to email me, do not include any confidential, secret or otherwise sensitive information concerning any potential or actual legal matter in the email transmission. Unsolicited emails do not create an attorney-client relationship and confidential or secret information included in such emails cannot be protected from disclosure. I am only authorized to practice law in the jurisdictions in which I have been properly licensed. I am not certified by any state's or jurisdiction's board of legal specialization; nor certified as an "expert" or "specialist" pursuant to any authority governing the practice of law. The Law Office of Loren A Piel Ltd does not through this site seek to represent anyone in a jurisdiction where this site may fail to comply with the laws and ethical rules of that jurisdiction.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant