Skip to main content

If I had a restraining order placed against me 6 years ago during a divorce does that show up on my background check?

Los Angeles, CA |

I was never arrested for the restraining nor was there any infractions placed against me

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Probably yes. It will turn up if someone searches the court records in the county where it was issued.


Prior legal actions against you are commonly very easy to find by a simple and cheap internet search. Assume it will be found and govern your conduct accordingly.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


Why guess or predict? Order your copy of your State Dept of Justice criminal record. Use Google (CA Live Scan) for outlets. It's fast, cheap, reliable. If the R.O. was domestic violence-based, you should also order your NCIC record through the FBI web-site.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer