If i had a lawyer accuse me of an internet crime (by using their email) without any proof of this accusation? Can they be sued?

Asked over 1 year ago - Colorado Springs, CO

This person does not work for me, but works with one of my clients. She sent an email to several other business clients making false accusations about using her email to send in a form. She is claiming to proceed with legal action but have not received anything to be charged with. This claim is absolutely false and feel this is slander by her spreading this rumor without evidence to others i depend on for my profession? What direction should i go?

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can sue anyone for any thing at any time. In this case, if you expect to actually win you will have to be able to show actual damages. How much money has the false statement cost you. If you cannot demonstrate this, you won't win anything worthwhile.

If you believe you can show actual damages, you may be able to pursue a claim for wrongful interference with business relations or defamation.

Pro

3

1

Answered . Defamation lawyers typically want a $5,000.00 fee just to start work, and without damages, you'll likely be in the hole thousands, but it is up to you what you spend your money on.

3. Russell J Hebets

Answered . As others have said you can always pursue such a case through civil means. It seems unlikely that the criminal justice system would get involved with such a case. Generally the only way to initiate a criminal case is to contact your local police.