If i had a lawyer accuse me of an internet crime (by using their email) without any proof of this accusation? Can they be sued?

Colorado Springs, CO |

This person does not work for me, but works with one of my clients. She sent an email to several other business clients making false accusations about using her email to send in a form. She is claiming to proceed with legal action but have not received anything to be charged with. This claim is absolutely false and feel this is slander by her spreading this rumor without evidence to others i depend on for my profession? What direction should i go?

You can sue anyone for any thing at any time. In this case, if you expect to actually win you will have to be able to show actual damages. How much money has the false statement cost you. If you cannot demonstrate this, you won't win anything worthwhile.

If you believe you can show actual damages, you may be able to pursue a claim for wrongful interference with business relations or defamation.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

It just happened so no money has been lost at this moment, but it is a without a doubt going to with that email sent. I have a copy of the email she sent with a list of people that i work with. This accusation is clearly a lie and she is trying to tarnish my reputation.

Stephen Clark Harkess

Stephen Clark Harkess

If she tries and fails then you have no damages. If she succeeds, you will have to determine how to measure your losses. A judge or jury will not simply guess.

Hi Stephan, do you handle these type of cases?

Defamation lawyers typically want a $5,000.00 fee just to start work, and without damages, you'll likely be in the hole thousands, but it is up to you what you spend your money on.

Ok, thank you for your help. I just want her to stop sending out further slander for something i did not do. How can i accomplish this?

As others have said you can always pursue such a case through civil means. It seems unlikely that the criminal justice system would get involved with such a case. Generally the only way to initiate a criminal case is to contact your local police.

These statements do not constitute legal advice. They are meant to be general in nature, for any specific legal questions you should always seek the counsel of an experienced attorney.

Civil rights topics