Skip to main content

If I got married in another country, can I get divorced in the US?

Baton Rouge, LA |
Filed under: F-1 visa for students

I am about to file for divorce, but I'm wondering if I need to apply for the divorce through a court in the US or my home country, since my marriage isn't registered in the US. What do I do?

I got married in Iran about 6 years ago. Now my husband and I are both students in the US (Louisiana). We are both on F1 visas and have been in LA for about 2 years now.

My reasons for divorce are: Lack of trust, and I have some documents proving he was about to get married with an American girl so he could get a green card!

Attorney Answers 2


As long as you were legally married in another country, you can file for divorce in the United States. You will still need to meet the residency requirements of the state you live in. You should contact a lawyer in your area to find out about the residency requirements.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


You should check it out with a LA attorney, but I see no reason why you cannot get divorced in the US now that you reside here. The fact that the marriage is registered in another country doesn't determine jurisdiction; it is where the parties reside that counts.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics