If I got arrested for DUI of alcohol, but marijuana shows up on my blood test as well, can I get a separate charge or are they

Asked over 2 years ago - Harrisburg, PA

If I got arrested for DUI of alcohol, but marijuana shows up on my blood test as well, can I get a separate charge or are they only looking for the alcohol. I didn't get caught for marijuana and it there was no suspicion of marijuana, but it will show up on my blood test from a previous day. Will I only get the DUI charge?

1. Zachary Cooper

3

Answered . If they find alcohol and marijuana in your system you should not get a separate possession charge for the drugs as long as they didn't find any on your person. You can still be charged under the DUI statute for operating a motor vehicle with drugs and alcohol in your system. This is something I recommend you discuss with an attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

2. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

2

Answered . If you were not found with drugs or paraphernalia, you will not have an additional drug charge. What it can do is bring you to the highest tier DUI. There are 3 tiers and if your BAC is less than .16 you are in one of the lower 2 tiers (or of course not guilty if it is below .08). The drugs count as a 3rd tier regardless. That is the most likely way it would effect you.

Michael L. Doyle
    (215) 900-5565

3. Adam D. Zucker

Pro

2

Answered . You will be charged at the highest level DUI , combination of drugs and alcohol. If this is your first offense you should still be eligible for your county's ARD program. Consult with an attorney.

4. Forest Dean Morgan

2

Answered . You will likely be charged with the following DUI charges:

75 Pa.C.S.A. 3802(a)(1)- DUI - Incapable of Safe Driving
    75 Pa.C.S.A. 3802(a)(2),(b) or (c)- DUI - Blood Alcohol Content (actual BAC will determine subsection
    75 Pa.C.S.A 3802(d)(1)- DUI Controlled Substances
    75 Pa.C.S.A. 3802(d)(3) DUI - Combination of Alcohol / Controlled Substances

And, for good measure, they may actually throw in Careless driving, and some summary citations. Whether they look for marijuana depends on the request of the officer as well as the laboratory. Either way, you need an experienced DUI Defense Attorney, like me, to fully and fairly evaluate your case.

F. Dean Morgan, Esquire
    www.CentralPennDUIDefense.com
    www.DUI-Case-Evaluation.com
    1-888-821-9446