If I go into a court hearing concerning a 647b case in San Diego without my own attorney, what can I expect to happen?

San Diego, CA |

I am having a hard time coming up with the retainer that a private attorney wants to represent me and I am a bit apprehensive about the defense that the P.D. will provide for me. Am I allowed to go in and ask the court for more time to hire my own attorney?

Yes. You may request the court to delay your arraignment for the purpose of hiring an attorney. Most defense attorneys provide free consultations, so it doesn't hurt to call around and see which attorney is the best fit for your case and financial means.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381

Mr. Limberg is correct. You can seek more time to hire an attorney. It will not always be given. It very much depends upon the stage of the case. If, for example, the Court re-set the matter once in the inception of the case to let you have more time to get counsel, it would not be unreasonable for him or her to re-set it again for that purpose. On the other hand, if you were given many opportunities and the case were re-set for trial several times, the Court might put you in the position of seeking the PD as long as you qualified. So, you can use the above spectrum to figure out where you and your case sits on the continuum. Good luck.

The information provided herein does not create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is to suggerst some general principles and should not be relied upon for client decisions. Only upon the hiring of counsel can such advice be custom-tailored to the client's specific situation and needs.

Yes, absolutely. Ask the court for a short continuance for the purpose of retaining an attorney. Let them know that you have been diligently seeking counsel and that you are close to obtaining cousnel. It is common for the court to grant an additional two weeks. Good luck.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
(800) 409-7010

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

There are many reasonably priced criminal defense attorneys with experience in San Diego who are on AVVO. Most of us will offer you a free consultation and give you a quote over the phone. The best thing for you to try and do is to hire an attorney prior to the court date so that the attorney can make certain that any new court dates will work with his calendar.

www.lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California matter. Please call my office at 619-238-1905 or visit my website at www.lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com

See my other answer to your same question.

Good Luck!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

. As a former District Attorney and former City Attorney I have seen people continue the arraignment to secure the retainer. It is also a good time to collect the facts and sit down with your attorney.
It is key that you hire the best locally experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you that you can afford. You should obtain a free consultation as soon as possible. Good luck.

Law Offices of Mark Deniz
1010 2nd Avenue, Suite 2307, San Diego, California 92101 (858) 751-4DUI