If i give up my legal rights of my son, can his father give parental rights to his new wife?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

I currently have shared legal rights but my ex has full custody. I asked my ex to drop the child support against me, to which he said yes. in exchange he wants to add is new wife to be a parental gardian. (i do not have a problem with this). The papers the laywer wrote up is saying that i would be giving up all my parental legal rights and would still maintain my visitaions. If i did that, would he be able to revoke my visitation rights in the future without cause?In addition, would he then be able to add his new wife without my consent?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Marakay Jessica Rogers

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I suspect that what he is actually trying to do is to get you to voluntarily terminate your parental rights so that his wife, who is the stepparent, can adopt your child. If that is the case, then yes, he would be able to revoke visitation rights. If the child is adopted, she would legally be the child's parent and you would not.

    I would be very leery of this, and would speak to an attorney immediately before signing anything.

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,001 answers this week

2,933 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,001 answers this week

2,933 attorneys answering