If I give a gift of money, how do I deduct it from my taxes?

Asked over 3 years ago - Provo, UT

I give my children money each eac (under $12,000). How does that benefit me on my taxes?

1. Bryant Keith Martin

1

Answered . It doesn't help with income taxes. It's a personal expense and not deductible. It saves extate taxes though. The small gifts are exempt ftom gift taxes, but they get the assets out of your estate,
    FEEDBACK: Both AVVO and other readers are interested in your feedback on the quality of the answers. Plz check the “thumbs up” symbol if you find an answer helpful or the “thumbs down” symbol if not.
    DISCLAIMER–This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California.
    (Bryant) Keith Martin
    sbbizlaw.com

2. Eliz C A Johnson

1

Answered . It helps for estate tax purposes but not income tax. You cannot deduct the gifts from your income tax return. It helps by getting that money out of your taxable estate and reducing the amount that might be taxed thereby. The fact that it is under $12K means you do not have to file a gift tax return.

3. Eliz C A Johnson

1