If I get Reentry permit for 2 years; can it be used multiple times during travel to US, while the permit is valid?

Fairfax, VA |

I am a green card(Permanent Residency) holder. Planing to travel abroad frequently and be abroad for extended periods of time. Expecting multiple inbound trips to US during 2 years.

It can be. keep in mind, you must mostly reside in the USA. If you think that your LPR status cannot be deemed abandoned just because you have a reentry permit, you are wrong.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Great response by my esteemed colleague

Yes, it can be for multiple trips. You can stay abroad for extended periods. In the application, you must explain your permanent resident intention. Absences for over one year are also fine if you have a valid permit (but discuss the potential issues with an attorney). Secondly, keep in mind, the reentry permit serves to preserve permanent resident status but cannot be used to meet the requirements for naturalization. N-470 could help in that regard - if you are eligible.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

I wholeheartedly agree with this excellent answer

Yes, a Reentry Permit is for multiple use and enables one to remain abroad for extended periods of time without "abandoning "his or her permanent residents in the US. A Reentry permit is valid for two years.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi