If I get pulled over for a defective brake light, Title 39 3-66, is there a grace period to get it fixed and dismissed?

River Vale, NJ |

In NYC, you could receive a summons for the same infraction, however if you were able to get it fixed, bring it to a police station and show it was fixed within 24 hours of the offense, they would dismiss the ticket.

Isn't there anything at all like this in Bergen County NJ? I mean what if you check your lights diligently and it went out at some point as you were driving? Is there no grace period to rectify the issue?

This makes no sense. Pulling someone over for this without a warning or a chance to fix the issue and get the ticket dismissed. This also opens opportunities for the police to search for other things they can write up tickets for.

You can plead not guilty and provide proof of the repair to the prosecutor. He or she may be willing to suspend the fines based on such proof.

You should plead not guilty( the court will give you a new court date), get the brake light fixed before the next court date, then on your court date bring with you a copy/receipt of the work done by the mechanic and show the prosecutor that it is now in proper, working order. Despite, it being considered a "small" infraction, I've seen prosecutors give pro se individuals (people unrepresented by an attorney at court) a hard time about this specific violation. If you can, i'd hire an attorney. If not, you should proceed accordingly.

Call my office fore a more thorough explanation free of charge. (609) 390-8888.

The Law Office of Brandon D. Walcott - 3 Harrys Court, Suite A, Ocean View, NJ - (609) 390-8888 - This is for general purposes only and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney licensed in your State for specific inquiries.

You may be theoretically correct, however the police are within their rights to issue the summons. Enter a plea of not guilty and show the prosecutor that you had the lights fixed and they may dismiss the charges.

Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.

Police are within their rights to write the ticket up for this violation. It will be up to you to provide all relevant documentation related to the repair to the prosecutor. It will be within his/her discretion to completely dismiss the ticket. Good luck!

This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm. If you'd like to discuss your matter further and set up an appointment to meet, contact Law Offices of Jennifer M. Mendelsohn: (201) 796-7700.