Skip to main content

If I get emancipated will I be able to get a tattoo? If I get emancipated will I be able to go to under 21 clubs?

Belleville, IL |

That's it really.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


The Illinois emancipation age is 18

Then you can get a tattoo and go to under 21 clubs.


If you are talking about becoming an emancipated minor. that is different. You likely will not find a tattoo artist to accept you until you are 18. Same goes for under 21 clubs.


Dont be in such a hurry to grow up.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.


Becoming emancipated is not the same as reaching the age of majority. Emancipation allows you to make your own decisions without requiring parental supervision or approval. It also cuts you off from your parents as though you are already a legal adult. The minimum age requirements assigned to tattoo artists, liquor stores and nightclubs will likely still apply and you will still probably have to wait until you are 18 or 21, respectively, to enjoy those privileges, regardless of whether you have been emancipated.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


Outstanding explanation!


If I were advising the tattoo parlor or under-21-club, I would advise them to not serve you. Sorry. Emancipated means you get to make your own decisions and can legally enter into contracts. It means you have legal control over your own earnings and property. Don't be in a hurry to have this happen.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer