If I get divorced can my husband get half of my inheritance?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Detroit, MI

I got a little of my inheritance now and the rest I have to wait 5 years. My inheritance is also in a trust. My father has been gone for 5 years now and we finally sold some property but won't get all of the money for it until 5 years when it's paid off. Can my husband sue me for that?

1. Ryan Michael Reppucci

Answered . Although I attended law school in Michigan, I am not a Michigan attorney. The quick answer to your question is no, in part. The inheritance is not considered an asset until it is received. In fact, many things could happen within the next five years that would cut your inheritance, for instance death. The little that has already been distributed may however be considered as an asset to be factored in a divorce. In efforts to facilitate settlement however, you and your spouse can take into consideration the inheritance. Meaning as the inheriting spouse, you could offer a piece of the inheritance for a greater share of the the assets to be presently divided.