Skip to main content

If I get denied on my I-751 while I am in my country of birth can I reopen my case?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

I came here as a tourist with my mother at the age of 13 from Germany but ended up staying . AT the age of 15 my mom met an American Citizen who she married when I was 17 years old.. We went through the process and I received a 2 year conditional green card at age 18, but my mother never received anything because she triggered a ten-year bar persuant to INA and 212(a)(9)(B)(v) because she overstayed her 90 days with me twice.! She filed for the form I-601 twice (waiver of inadmissibility), but was not accepted. She is still happily married to my step dad. 90 days before my conditional 2 year card expired I filed for my I-751. I am going to Germany for 3 month in June. Can I reopen my case in Germany if I get denied or will I be out of luck? Is it easier to do it from you home country?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


When did you file the I-751? You should have the receipt for the I-751, which indicates that your status as permanent resident is extended for one year from the date of the receipt. BEFORE you travel, you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney (if you have not already hired one) and go over your case to determine the issues and risks involved in traveling outside the United States at this time.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.



I filed in June 2011 and I am still waiting. I do have a receipt number and my case is under initial review! I think I might have not given enough documents to proof my step dad and moms marriage. What's the best way to add documents to my case without a lawyer?

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin


The best way to proceed is to hire a lawyer.


It is far easier to fight a case IN the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Would have been much easier (and effective) to appeal from within the US.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Because your I-751 has been pending for over a year, the one-year green card status extension given in your receipt notice also expired. You need to make an InfoPass appointment to get an additional extension (due to the fact the I-751 is still pending); they will stamp your passport with a temporary I-551 (evidence of green card status). If the I-751 is denied, the green card status is immediately terminated and you are placed in removal (deportation) proceedings. If you are abroad when it is denied, you will be placed in secondary inspection and given a court date (removal proceedings in immigration court). You may be able to re-litigate the I-751 in immigration court, depending on the reason for the denial. Please do not attempt to do this without a competent immigration lawyer. I cannot stress this enough. If I were in your shoes, unless I had a very important reason for wanting or needing to travel, I would forgo traveling abroad and save the money I would have spent on that trip and invest in competent legal counsel. You do not want to end up being ordered removed. Best of luck to you.

Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only. We are a full-service immigration and criminal defense law firm, representing clients in all 50 states and worldwide. Kristy Figueroa-Contreras, Esq.,, NEGRI, TORRES & FIGUEROA-CONTRERAS, PA, The Minorca, Suite 214, 2030 South Douglas Road, Miami, FL 33134, Tel. (305) 639-8599. Hablamos español. Falamos português.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer