If I get convicted of domestic violence can I lose my nursing license?

Pitman, NJ |
Filed under: Domestic violence

my husband and I are going thru a divorce when these dv charges occured.

1. You could be subject to discipline by the licensing board, although loss of license might be an extreme sanction. Alot depends on whether there is a prior history of domestic violence.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

2. Have you been contacted by the nursing board?

Herbert Tan, Esq.
    E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
    Website: www.tanlaws.com

The National Newark Building
    744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    (973) 735-2681 (W)
    (973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (888) TAN-LAWS

3. Not that I'm aware of. The nursing board may investigate it, but loss of license is rather extreme.

Be glad you're not an attorney - if a lawyer is convicted of DV, there is a mandatory six month license suspension!

4. I agree with Mr Lieberman, that this is an issue the Board may look at, but can often be mitigated to protect the license. If you are not already represented by a lawyer and are contacted by the Board, immediately discuss this issue with a lawyer experienced in representing clients before the Board when they are charged with conduct such as this. I suggest that you do some research on the web, at official government pages or at lawyer's websites who deal with these issues, such as our pages at www.nj-criminaldefense.com/CM/Custom/TOCDomesticViolence.asp to learn what can be done to minimize any findings regarding the DV criminal charges.

DISCLAIMER: While I do practice law in NJ, this answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer. This response is not intended to be, and does not constitute, legal advice; does not create an attorney-client relationship; and, is not intended as an attorney advertisement. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced defense lawyer of your choice, who is admitted to practice law in NJ before you make any decisions about this case.