Skip to main content

If I get an H visa through a company, how long do I have to work for them before I transfer to another company on the same visa?

New York, NY |

I am portuguese and I will be working at an architecture firm in new york on a H1-B visa

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You can switch as soon as the new company application is received by USCIS.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

  2. If you are currently an H1B visa holder, you can transfer your visa and start work for a new employer as soon as an H1B transfer petition is 'submitted' to the USCIS by the new sponsoring company/employer. You do NOT have to wait until the Transfer is issued.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

  3. As long as you continue to maintain H-1B status, you can move and work for another H-1B employer after they have filed the petition in your behalf.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics