Skip to main content

If I get a judgement against me from small claims court in New Jersey and I live in Florida what happens?

Jacksonville, FL |

I had a fender bender in a parking lot and it's he said she said. I am 71 live on social security and small pension. I have small mortgage on my house and own my car (2006 Chev) I also have a small savings for emergencies. What happens if I am to appear back in Jersey on 2/28 for the small claim hearing. What if I lose?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If a judgement is entered against you in New Jersey and you have no collectible assets in this state, the Plaintiff would have to domesticate the judgment in Florida in order to try and collect it against you. I would contact a legal aid organization in New Jersey if you can not afford to hire a lawyer.

  2. Plaintiff cannot collect on a ruling from New Jersey if you do not have property or assets in that state. Ruling would have to be done within the state of Florida, where your assets are located, in order for collection to occur.
    You should consult a local attorney.

    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  3. Simply turn the papers over to your insurance company, who will defend. That's why insurance is required in every state.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755