If I get a judgement against me from small claims court in New Jersey and I live in Florida what happens?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jacksonville, FL

I had a fender bender in a parking lot and it's he said she said. I am 71 live on social security and small pension. I have small mortgage on my house and own my car (2006 Chev) I also have a small savings for emergencies. What happens if I am to appear back in Jersey on 2/28 for the small claim hearing. What if I lose?

1. Jeffrey Robert Davis

4

1

Answered . If a judgement is entered against you in New Jersey and you have no collectible assets in this state, the Plaintiff would have to domesticate the judgment in Florida in order to try and collect it against you. I would contact a legal aid organization in New Jersey if you can not afford to hire a lawyer.

2. Michael Shemtoub

3

Answered . Plaintiff cannot collect on a ruling from New Jersey if you do not have property or assets in that state. Ruling would have to be done within the state of Florida, where your assets are located, in order for collection to occur.
    You should consult a local attorney.

Pro

3

Answered . Simply turn the papers over to your insurance company, who will defend. That's why insurance is required in every state.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com