If I gave temporary guardianship to my mom, does that mean I have her custody as well?

Asked about 4 years ago - Clarksville, TN

I have guardianship to my mom when my daughter was a year old, I was young, stupid and realized that I decided I wanted to be a partyier. I lost my job, so for my daughter to have insurance I had to sign a paper saying I gave my mom guardianship so she could carry my daughter on her insurance. I never went to court, just signed a paper in my mom's laywers office. My daughter wants to come live with me now, and she's hurting because I had a fall out with my mom and she won't even let my daughter come to see me or talk to me on the phone, right now we are sneaking text messages just to stay in touch. What do I need to do to fix this? I am in Tennessee and my daughter and mom are in Indiana

1. Frank A Selden

Answered . guardianship is more powerful than custody. how do you know it was temporary? when will the guardianship end if it was temporary and how can you prove that? overturning a guardianship is not easy. if your mom has custody then you can petition the family court (in Indiana) to return custody to you. a guardianship is more complicated. either way I would talk to a family attorney to figure out what your rights are. depending on your daughter's age her testimony might help you a lot as well.