Skip to main content

If I gave a lawyer a retainer fee and I didn't sign a contract. Can I get my retainer fee back? I changed my mind about using

Detroit, MI |

I changed my mind about going forward with filing a case. I didn't sign a contract and she never started doing any work on my behalf. We met and discussed my issue and I told her the same day, I wanted to think about proceeding. Now, I dont want her services. Can i get back my retainer fee?

Attorney Answers 3


Most likely yes, why not ask the attorney for a refund?

Mark as helpful


You should be able to get your money back. Put your request in writing so she has something for her file too. If you have any problems, you can contact the Attorney Grievance Commission (see link below).

Mark as helpful


Yes, you are entitled to your money back. Lawyers are not entitled to a fee if they have done no work. If you terminate the lawyer, he or she is only entitled to the reasonable value of your services. But this sounds like a situation that you should be able to work out amicably with the lawyer.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Business topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics