If i follow court orders until modified will the jusge make me still follol old order

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I have an oop and court ordered sole custody. I moved 8 miles away. The bisitation order states nothing about me moving or informing him etc. The p/u and d/o have my old address. I put in a modification to move and am following the order by driving to my old address for the time being because my soon to be ex will not go to the new apartment and says he will put in a violation if i am mot there?. Will the judge say since i have been doing it i will have to continue to. Or will he tell my husband to stop with the baby revenge?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

5

10

Answered . You are doing the right thing, follow the old court order then resepctfully tell the cout why you need the modification and remind the court that you respected their court order while you were waiting your chance to be heard.

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

4

Answered . If it's 8 miles, I doubt the Judge will have an issue with it, so long as the father has a car. If he only has public transit, however, and it substantially increases his commute time, the Judge may direct a middle ground for the pick-up/drop-off. In any event, to the degree you have further questions, I encourage you to schedule a follow-up consultation with a NYC Child Custody attorney.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. Edwin Drantivy

2

Answered . Unfortunately, no attorney can predict exactly what a judge/magistrate will say or order, but you would be well-served to discuss this situation with a New York domestic relations attorney (if you do not already have one).