If I fire my attorney..... Washington State L&I

Seattle, WA |

My L&I attorney got my claim going and received 30% of back payments. Now everything is flowing fine. I have some issues and I want to fire her. Does this attorney continue to receive my weekly time loss checks and take 30% out each week if I fire her? Please answer. Is this normal to take so much?

1. I do not know if it is "unusual." In most PI cases, the Attorney gets 1/3. In CA workers' compensation, the injured workers' attorney gets 15%. That is why they must have a lot of files.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.

2. I can state that in Wisconsin attorney fees are capped at 20%. However, since your attorney was responsible for obtaining benefits for you, they are entitled to claim a fee on all benefits they are responsible for obtaining.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

3. For ongoing timeloss compensation, the fee should be 15%. You should talk to your attorney about your concerns and try to work out something that will work for both of you going forward. Good luck.

4. In most jurisdictions, it is customary to take a fee on accrued benefits
    only, not future benefits.
    No virus found in this message.
    Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
    Version: 2012.0.2221 / Virus Database: 2437/5261 - Release Date: 09/10/12

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links: ccandiano@themargolisfirm.com http://www.themargolisfirm.com