If I find roaches in my apartment, what are my legal rights as a tenant?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

I have so far found three roaches every once a month that is alive in my apartment. The exterminator has been called twice already on 8-10-2011 and 9-1-2011. On 10-09-2011 I found yet another roach laying on its back, clearly still alive. I want to move out of this roach infested place, and I was wondering how I could break my lease so that I may find another place to live in?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . Demand the landlord use an exterminator again. You place is habitable so you cannot just break your lease, so demand the landlord keep it up until you get the roaches gone.

2. Gini S. Marziani

Answered . Dear Tenant: You are in the City of Chicago and probably are covered by the very Tenant Friendly City of Chicago Landlord Tenant Ordinance. If that is correct, Please review the ordinance carefully on line at: http://www.chicityclerk.com/tenantsVRSlandlords... There are specific provisions in the Ordinance which deal with Landlord issues such as the one you describe.

Follow the Ordinance and you will be able to move out without repercussions from the Landlord if the Landlord does not comply.

Hope this helps. Good luck