If i find a phone and sell it,can i be arrested bc my teacher is pressing charges bc the phone i found was hers and i sold it

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Civil rights

She is saying that it was stolen from her bag but i found it outside and it is an iphone so i sold it so i could get money now she is pressing charges

1. You can be arrested.... you had an obigation to try and return it or turn it in. Hire a criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Prepare for serious disciplinary action by the school. The school is not bound by the same standards for proof that a criminal prosecution requires. You are subject to school discipline even if your statement about finding the phone-- as posted here -- is believed.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

3. Well, I am assuming you are a minor this may sound harsh but, I am sure that you know better. Based upon my background I tend to be pretty firm and I will not pull any punches here. You should rightly be prepared to deal with the consequences. I am assuming that you FOUND this iphone near the school so you had several options such as turning the iphone over to a School Safety Agent or even the Main Office. But, you took the selfish path for your own personal gain. The best you can hope for is that you LEARN something from this experience and get your life on track before it is too late. Good luck.

Answers to questions posted on the AVVO website as well as content contained on The Sanders Firm, P.C., website is intended for informational purposes only. Nothing in such answers or the content contained on The Sanders Firm, P.C., website is to be considered as either creating an Attorney-Client relationship between the reader and The Sanders Firm, P.C., or as the rendering of legal advice for any specific matter. Readers are responsible for obtaining such legal advice in consultation with a licensed Attorney.

Civil rights topics