If I file for separation..and NYS No Fault is finally approved...does everything change and spouse is responsible for costs?

Hamburg, NY |

I have limited funds. My husband controls all of our assets. I am unaware as to how much investments and IRA are worth.
Am unclear as to how much is owed on our home. He refuses to leave. What are my options?

You should discuss your situation with a local divorce attorney. New York courts frequently order a spouse who controls the assets of the marriage to pay the legal costs for both sides in a divorce - and part of the process is mandatory disclosure of assets.

Option 1: Hire an attorney. Option 2: Get taken advantage of.

Gather every bit of information you can, and go see an attorney. Many will give a free, or very reasonable rate consultation, which will include strategy on how you can afford representation out of the marital estate. You do not need to go through this alone. Don't.

You are permitted the opportunity to conduct discovery to learn about the extent of his income, assets, and debts.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

In addition to the answers given by other attorneys, a bill has passed the New York Legislature which was sent to the Governor for consideration which, if signed by the governor, will make it easier for a spouse with limited funds to get the other spouse (who presumably has more funds) to pay his or her attorney. It's among the bills included with the no-fault divorce bill, so if you read about the no-fault divorce bill being signed, you should also hear about the attorneys fee bill.

Recommended articles about Divorce