Skip to main content

If I file for Affidavit of violation of restraining order at The Court house, what is next? Will the Judge call for a hearing?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

The person is harassing me through the Internet. What do I do?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    Go file for the violation, and they will schedule a hearing, but you also need to contact the police, because violation of a restraining order should result in an arrest and criminal prosecution. Internet contact is a little harder, because you have to show that it is really that person contacting you. You may want to go to the police department and ask to speak to an officer who regularly works with domestic violence/computer issues so that you get to someone who understands what is involved in that kind of case.

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

  2. I completely agree with Attorney Morcroft's answer to you. I would add that here in Pinellas and Pasco Counties, the Judges and Police take Internet stalking and harassment very seriously. If you can print out the threats he is posting, you have a much better chance of having a Judge either have him arrested or extend the injunction that is already in place.

    I am sure the police and judges in your county will take it as seriously as we do here. In addition, remember that you can always call the following numbers for immediate answers.

    Florida Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-500-1119
    National Domestic Abuse Hotline: 1-800-799-7233.

    Best of luck to you.

    This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics