Skip to main content

If I file for a divorce, who pays the filing fee?

Cambridge, MA |
Filed under: Divorce Credit

How much is the filing fee in Ma, is it 215 or 220, i am confused

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The party who files the divorce pays the filing fee at the time of the filing. There is a fee for the complaint for divorce and then a fee for the summons. The summons is then served on your husband either through a sheriff or contstable or on many occasions, I prefer to call the party and see if they will accept service by coming to my office and signing the documents, that saves money and is more considerate, however that is dictated by the clients needs, sometimes its imp to have the papers formerly served. Hope that helps. The bottom line is the cost to file is 220 and and the sheriff is about 50-75 dollars.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


Attorney Mason is an outstanding attorney whom, I would highly recommend retaining.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown


As always, the highest regard should be given to the information provided by your local attorneys.


The person filing pays the fee. That being said, if the parties are in agreement, they are perfectly free to split the fee between themselves. The only rule is that the clerk won't accept the matter for filing until or unless the proper fee is paid. The fee for a summons is $5, so that may be where your confusion is coming from. My strong advice is that - unless this truly does not matter all that much to you - get the assistance of counsel.


If you file, you pay. Call the divorce department clerk to see what forms of payment they accept. Few or none will accept a personal check, so you will need a bank check, money order, or in most courts you can pay with a debit or credit card in-person at the court. Good luck!

The information you obtain from this Answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. This Answer is for informational purposes only. If you need legal advice regarding your own situation, please consult an attorney.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer