If I file for a divorce, who pays the filing fee?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cambridge, MA

How much is the filing fee in Ma, is it 215 or 220, i am confused

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

13

33

Best Answer

Answered . The party who files the divorce pays the filing fee at the time of the filing. There is a fee for the complaint for divorce and then a fee for the summons. The summons is then served on your husband either through a sheriff or contstable or on many occasions, I prefer to call the party and see if they will accept service by coming to my office and signing the documents, that saves money and is more considerate, however that is dictated by the clients needs, sometimes its imp to have the papers formerly served. Hope that helps. The bottom line is the cost to file is 220 and and the sheriff is about 50-75 dollars.

2. Teresa M. Harkins La Vita

5

Answered . If you file, you pay. Call the divorce department clerk to see what forms of payment they accept. Few or none will accept a personal check, so you will need a bank check, money order, or in most courts you can pay with a debit or credit card in-person at the court. Good luck!

3. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

4

1

Answered . The person filing pays the fee. That being said, if the parties are in agreement, they are perfectly free to split the fee between themselves. The only rule is that the clerk won't accept the matter for filing until or unless the proper fee is paid. The fee for a summons is $5, so that may be where your confusion is coming from. My strong advice is that - unless this truly does not matter all that much to you - get the assistance of counsel.