If I file chapter 7 for all credit card debts, my family members in the same house affect bad credit scores?

San Diego, CA |

My friend told me that if I live in the same home with family members and have a lot of debts on credit cards and file chapter 7 bankruptcy, will affect my family members credit scores, is it true?

Your family members' scores should not be affected by your filing bankruptcy.

If one of your family members is a co-signer on one of your accounts, their credit score might be impacted by your failure to pay on that debt.

I am in San Diego and would be glad to answer any other questions you might have. Please call if I can help.

2. No, it shouldn't.

3. This is just an urban myth. Credit reports are created by social security numbers, not by address or last name.

Hope this perspective helps!

4. No.

Only if the family member was a co-debtor will they be affected. That means that you and the other family member have joint liability as co-signers. You would get a discharge of the debt, but not them.

BW

5. Generally, no your family members should not be affected by your filing bankruptcy, unless they are a joint-debtor (co-signor) on one of your debts, than it may negatively affect their credit report.