If I file a Federal Return do I have to file a state return?

Asked over 2 years ago - Charleston, IL

I am a high school student who makes less than $6,000 a year. My parents claim me on their federal return and I file a federal return but do not claim myself. Do I have to file an Illinois State return?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. E. Martin Davidoff


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The filing of a federal tax return has little to do with your requirement to file a state, and usually has nothing to do with it. However, in most cases, if you are not required to file a federal return, you need not file a state return.

    To be sure, check out the instructions to the state return. I have attached a link to the IL instructions for the IL-1040.

    Good luck.


    Marty Davidoff, emd@taxattorneycpa.com, 732-274-1600. This answer is provided for general information only. You... more
  2. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have to file a Federal Tax return you most likely will have to file a State Income tax return. It is probably not a bad idea to file one anyway if you file a Federal tax return. Otherwise, the statute of limitations does not begin to run. However, the actual filing requirement is determined by your state and has nothing to do with the requirement of a Federal income tax return. Perhaps one of our IL attorneys can comment on this portion of your question.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response... more
  3. Christopher Michael Larson


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Lively. It never hurts to file your return. You can never be worse off by doing so.

    Christopher Larson

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,190 answers this week

3,155 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,190 answers this week

3,155 attorneys answering