If I file a "wage claim" with the OK DOL, do they only recuperate lost wages up to min. wage standard of $7.25 like US DOL?

Oklahoma City, OK |

I was going to file a wage claim with US DOL to recuperate wages that were being illegally withheld, but when I talked to US DOL they said, though it is illegal to withhold the wages, that they could only recuperate lost wages up to the US min. wage standard ($7.25/hr) and not the total hourly pay rate I have in my employment contract($12.00/hr). That sounds like employers can withhold as much money as they want as long as they are paying you $7.25.. I bit of a scammers loop-hole if you ask me.

1. That's correct, the DOL is only authorized to recover minimum wages and overtime compensation. In my experience, they will typically not push as hard to recover as much in wages as a private wage and hour attorney. The other advantage of hiring a private attorney (most of whom will work on a contingent-fee basis) is that they can go after the remaining difference between the minimum wage and your hourly pay rate. Also, bear in mind that as a private attorney, if they are successful in recovering your minimum wages, the employer will have to pay their reasonable attorney's fees. That fee-shifting provides more leverage for a higher settlement.