If I exchange a foreign currency to US dollars for over $25,000.00. Will I be responsible for any taxes?

Asked over 1 year ago - Springfield, MO

I exchanged US dollars for this foreign currency when it was real low. now it's exchange rates is much higher.

1. Bruce Givner

Pro

5

Answered . A gain on a currency exchange is taxable like the gain on the sale of any other asset.

2. Houston Putnam Lowry

3

Answered . The short answer is yes.

You bought the currency when the exchange rates were low (meaning you got a lot of foreign currency for $25,000). Now the rates have changed, so you would get more than $25,000 if you converted the foreign currency back to dollars.

This means you would have a gain and would have to pay taxes on the gain (once it happens, assuming you are a cash basis taxpayer).

Speak to your accountant.

I am admitted to practice in Connecticut and limit my responses to CT law.
  3. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

2

Answered . Yes, you are. Please talk to an international attorney for this. Best