If I employ an immigrant, what documents to I need to prove that they are legal?

I'm starting a small business, and don't want to get in trouble for hiring people who are in the United States illegally. . .

Brooklyn, NY -

Attorney Answers (3)

Renee Juanita Tello

Renee Juanita Tello

Immigration Attorney

You would need to complete Form I-9for each employee and make sure that they have valid work authorization. Valid work authorization must be unexpired documents such as a U.S. passport, Green Card, Employment Authorization Document etc. Form I-9 provides an extensive list of acceptable documentation.

Wolf W Kaufmann

Wolf W Kaufmann

Immigration Attorney - Anaheim, CA

You need to fill out a form I-9 for every employee, citizen or not. Go to the USCIS website and find the instructions for form I-9

Wolf W. Kaufmann
Southern California Immigration Attorney

No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case.

Neil Ian Fleischer

Neil Ian Fleischer

Immigration Attorney - Cincinnati, OH

TO find out, click here


If you "like" this answer, please visit our website www.immigrate2usa.com

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.