If I employ an immigrant, what documents to I need to prove that they are legal?

Asked about 3 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I'm starting a small business, and don't want to get in trouble for hiring people who are in the United States illegally.



Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would need to complete Form I-9for each employee and make sure that they have valid work authorization. Valid work authorization must be unexpired documents such as a U.S. passport, Green Card, Employment Authorization Document etc. Form I-9 provides an extensive list of acceptable documentation.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to fill out a form I-9 for every employee, citizen or not. Go to the USCIS website and find the instructions for form I-9

    Wolf W. Kaufmann
    Southern California Immigration Attorney

    No client-attorney relationship is being created by this posting. Please contact an attorney with questions about your case.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . TO find out, click here


    If you "like" this answer, please visit our website www.immigrate2usa.com

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,747 answers this week

3,756 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,747 answers this week

3,756 attorneys answering