Skip to main content

If I don't have social security number how i will file the federal tax return and the form I-864

Usa, Mobile, AL |
Filed under: Immigration

If I am a US citizen and I have a US passport as well as a US birth certificate and I left the States one year after i was born in US and lived abroad for more that 27 years and i didn't apply for SSN ever can i apply for Green card for my husband and my child without the SSN .

If I don't have social security number how she will file the federal tax return and I checked the form I-864 to find anything related to the SSN then I found a section for SSN and they put after that this word (SSN REQUIRED )

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    If you're not in the US, you can go to the US Embassy/Consul and apply for a number.

    If you're in the US, you can apply at a local SS office.

    You will probably need a financial co-sponsor to sponsor your husband and child.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. You asked this question and I told you, you will have to visit your native country and get one.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. You need to apply for a social security number.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics