Skip to main content

If i don't have house meetings with my probation officer how could he know if i moved

Reston, VA |

i moved two weeks ago without my p.o's permission but i keep my monthly appointment with him. how would he know

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Probation officers have the authority to make unannounced house visits and they often do. I'm not sure why you would not want to tell the probation officer that your moved. If you moved out of the jurisdiction, they are usually more than happy to transfer the probation to that location. Contact an attorney ASAP to discuss this issue.

Carleton Penn III

Carleton Penn III


I agree with Mr. Simms and would add that your PO may find out the address is bad from mailing you a letter and the latter is returned. Your PO has the ability to have you locked up, often without bond, for what you may call the slightest reason. Treat them honestly and with respect and you may be amazed that they treat you accordingly.


There are a myriad of reasons as to how your PO found out. You could have avoided this by just telling him. Now, you face serious consequences and should hire an attorney.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.


The PO can and often will make unannounced house visits, my suggestion is you speak with a criminal defense attorney before making any decisions as to what to do next.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer