If I do not show up to court for an eviction summons, what happens next? How long do I have to get my stuff out of the home?

Dacono, CO |

I have heard Landlords always win, although my landlord had an agreement with me and changed her plan when she rented the house in 48 hours. I do not believe I have a chance, so feel there is no need to show up for court.

If you skip the hearing the landlord will get a writ of restitution 48 hours after the hearing. Then you have until the landlord can schedule an appointment with the sheriff (anywhere from a couple days to several weeks depending on the schedule of the sheriff's department) to move your stuff before it ends up on the curb.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or info@Harkess-Salter.com. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Landlord-tenant topics