If I do an investment in gas station and obtain E2 visa, could I obtain work permit to work in another company in USA?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

I'd like to manage my investment in gas station at the same time I would like to work in another company in the USA. Thank you very much.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As the E-2 Principal, you cannot work outside the investment vehicle for the E-2.

  2. Fadi N. Minawi

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, you would only be eligible to work for the E-2 business. If you are married and your wife qualifies for E-2 visa, sometimes putting business in spouse's name can help in a situation like yours as a dependent spouse is eligible for a work perit.

    Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As my colleagues correctly point out ... you can only work at the gas station with your E-2.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting... more
  4. Jay Ignacio Nunez

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Agree with those that have already answered. Unlike the EB-5 which results in a green card, the E-2 only allows you to work at the business in which you've invested.

  5. Todd Matthew Heine

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . How much do you have to invest? There are other options than the E2 visa if you have sufficient funds.

    Portage Bay Law PLLC is an international law firm that give companies doing global business the knowledge and... more
  6. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . No, you wouldn't be able to. However, perhaps if you are married, your spouse can be the principal on your E-2 visa. As the spouse of an E-2 principal, you would be eligible to receive work authorization and would not have to work for the E-2 enterprise. There may be other strategic options to accomplish your goals as well. I would strongly suggest consulting with an immigration attorney. Best of luck!

Related Topics

Non-immigrant visas

Nonimmigrant visas are types of visas that are issued to visitors traveling to the US for temporary work, study, or tourism.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,317 answers this week

3,210 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,317 answers this week

3,210 attorneys answering