If I do an investment in gas station and obtain E2 visa, could I obtain work permit to work in another company in USA?

Tampa, FL |

I'd like to manage my investment in gas station at the same time I would like to work in another company in the USA. Thank you very much.

1. No, you would only be eligible to work for the E-2 business. If you are married and your wife qualifies for E-2 visa, sometimes putting business in spouse's name can help in a situation like yours as a dependent spouse is eligible for a work perit.

Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by email-fadi@visaplace.com.This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. www.visaplace.com

2. As the E-2 Principal, you cannot work outside the investment vehicle for the E-2.

3. As my colleagues correctly point out ... you can only work at the gas station with your E-2.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

4. Agree with those that have already answered. Unlike the EB-5 which results in a green card, the E-2 only allows you to work at the business in which you've invested.

5. How much do you have to invest? There are other options than the E2 visa if you have sufficient funds.

Portage Bay Law PLLC is an international law firm that give companies doing global business the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through www.portagebaylaw.com.

6. No, you wouldn't be able to. However, perhaps if you are married, your spouse can be the principal on your E-2 visa. As the spouse of an E-2 principal, you would be eligible to receive work authorization and would not have to work for the E-2 enterprise. There may be other strategic options to accomplish your goals as well. I would strongly suggest consulting with an immigration attorney. Best of luck!