If I divorce my husband does he stillresponsible my own debtwith credit card

Monroe Township, NJ |

I lost moneyon gambling andmy husband doesn't Gamble. I have recently purchaes car but lost on internet gambling and at real Casino. If I divorce my husband and file Bankcrutcy what happens to my debt?

1. Your debt will be discharged, but if your spouse's name is on any of the accounts, the creditors can seek payment from him. Hope this perspective helps!

2. The truth is that there are too many variables here to give a complete answer. It depends on what the divorce decree says. It depends on what kind of debt you have, whose name(s) are on it, whether these debt(s) were for "necessities," etc.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

3. If you file for bankruptcy, likely that debt will be discharged.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed