If i divorce my husband can i loose my visa status too?

Asked about 1 year ago - Edison, NJ

my visa status is AOS I-485 Form with Advanced payroll and I've got my EAD through my spouse who is a primary applicant. the problem is i am unemployed . after divorce can i get all the privilege to stay in USA?

1. Steven Sahag Vosbikian

Pro

6

Answered . Absolutely not. Being unemployed is a suspicious reason to divorce your spouse. Are you ina good faith, bona fide marriage?

If you end up divorcing before your interview, you are not be eligible to receive a green card. If you stay married and pass your interview (and receive your green card), the green card is issued on a conditional basis for two years. After two years, you will have to remove your conditional status by filing another petition. It already sounds like you will need a waiver, which is exceptionally difficult these days. If you fail to removal your conditional status, you subject yourself to removal (deportation) from the U.S.

More importantly, if the Immigration Service finds that you entered into a fraudulent marriage and/or have procured an immigration benefit by fraud (such as a work card or green card), you are removable (deportable) and will not be allowed to enter the United States upon your removal (deportation).

You really need to consider speaking with an attorney ASAP. This is not about forms - it is about federal immigration law.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

6

Answered . If you divorce before you get your green card, no. If you get your green card before you divorce (which will require your husband's support to accomplish), maybe.

3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

7

Answered . If you are a derivative of your spouse's I-485 then once divorced you will no longer have the option to continue with your permanent residency. Do you also have an underlying nonimmigrant status? Is this also dependent on your spouse? Before divorcing you should seek immigration advise unless you are prepared to go home.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

4. Yolanda Navarrete

3

Answered . As a derivatve on your husband's application you will lose your status when you divorce. If he is a U.S. citizen petitioning for you, you may or may not lose staus. More information and review of your application is necessary to gve you a reliable answer.

5. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . Having a pending adjustment of status application is not a "visa status." If you get divorced while the I-485 is pending, there will be no basis for your I-485 to be approved.

6. David Alexander Browde

Pro

3

Answered . Under some circumstances, yes, you can. Under others you will not - you have to demonstrate that the marriage was not for immigration purposes.