If I divorce, am I able to keep any personal property and cars that were obtained before the marriage?

Asked about 1 year ago - Berkley, MI

I have two cars currently in my name. One was acquired before the marriage and is fully paid for. The other I just financed five months ago. I would like to keep both once the divorce is final and I just want to know how the property will be split. Thank you.

1. Neil M. Colman

Pro

2

Answered . You state the first car was fully paid. When? If payments were made during the marriage, then the court can include this claimed separate/premarital asset. One must keep in mind, however, that there is no prohibition against a court including premarital property in division of assets, depending upon circumstances including, but not limited to, length of the marriage and whether premarital assets are necessary for the support of the other party. There are 2 statutes that give the court discretion to include premarital/separate property.

Neil M. Colman

2. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . How long was the marriage? This question really needs to be answered first.

3. Lee Alan Thompson

2

Answered . The one before should be your separate property unless marital money was put it into but even then, probably not a big problem. The one after the marriage is marital property and unless you put a giant down payment on it probably has little equity to divide. Consult an attorney.

4. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

1

Answered . The one before the marriage is clearly yours. The other is marital property and the judge can order it be sold but generally if you want to take the debt, then you can take the car.