If I died, and came back to life, can I collect life insurance?

Syracuse, NY |

I was under cardiac arrest, and the doctors were not able to resuscitate me--the defibrillator attempt failed. I was declared dead (shows on my medical records), but as the staff was vacating, my heart started up again. I am just curious if I can collect life insurance now since I was legally dead.

Practical problems you would have are that the insurance company requires a death certificate and YOU would not be the beneficiary, under any circumstances. It likely has something in the policy that defines "death." Interesting question. But I see no practical way of collecting.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. That would be a pretty neat trick!

Materials on this website have been designed to provide useful background information about Law Offices of Thomas Sciacca, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Law Offices of Thomas Sciacca, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, made through this website may not be secure, confidential, or privileged. The information provided in this website should not be considered to be an invitation to an attorney-client relationship and you should not rely on any information provided at this website for any purpose. For legal advice, you should consult with a qualified attorney. Selecting the best attorney for you is an important and personal decision and should not be based solely on the information contained on this website.

3. No. You need to be officially dead, with a death certificate!

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

4. Being resuscitated does not mean that you are dead. Good luck with your life, enjoy it without the insurance proceeds.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

5. The lawyers on this site give guidance, not advice, and we certainly wouldn't aid & abet insurance scams.

6. Only if you came back as a pretty flower

7. You are not the first person to ever ask this, but the answer is still no. The wonderful thing is that you have something much better than death benefits, i.e, life. As they say, you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

This is general information based upon limited facts, should not be construed as legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The author is licensed in Indiana and Ohio attorney only.