If i die within two years of purchasing an insurance policy?

New York, NY |

a) my beneficiary will get a check within 7days of my death, b) the insurance policy will be automatically canceled? c) the insurance company will investigate the cause of death

1. While I would assume the company always reserves the right to investigate the cause of death, what will happen if you die within 2 years of the date the policy is issued is governed by the terms of the insurance contract. What does it say?

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

2. Life insurance policies and applicable law typically allow the insurer to conduct a review to determine if any material misreprepresentations were made in the application if the insured dies within the first two years of coverage. Most insurers avail themselves of this this right. The cause of death may also have a bearing on claim adjudication, for example, a murder or suicide may affect who is paid and how much. The cause of death may also be relevant to adjudication of accidental death benefits. The beneficiary being paid in 7 days or automatically cancellation are both highly unlikely. This information is subject to the disclaimer below.

This is general information based upon limited facts, should not be construed as legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The author is licensed in Indiana and Ohio attorney only.

3. It depends on what your policy says. Life insurance policies are contracts, and they govern how what the insurance company can do.

You need to review your policy. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics