If I didn't appear in a traffic court. Would the judge post a bond for me??

Chicago, IL |

I was stopped about two years ago by a police officer and my vehicle didn't have licence plates, nor insurance on it. I was supposed to go to court and I didn't go.. a warrant was issued for my arrest. What happens next??

1. The court will have a warrant against you. The next time you get pulled over, you could get pulled in. It is best to show up on your own and clear the warrant.

2. One thing to know, your driver's license is suspended for failure to appear, if you ever get stopped you will be charged with driving while suspended. And any encounter with the police, even if not driving, will result in an arrest due to the warrant. You should hire a lawyer and work out something to turn yourself in. They will have to clean up the tickets and get your license valid

3. What happens next is up to you. You are either going to be picked up on the warrant or you are going to hire a competent defense attorney who is going to file the appropriate motions to have the warrant quashed. Regardless of how you decide to proceed the situation is not going to resolve itself.

4. If there is an outstanding warrant then the police will arrest you. After the arrest a new court date will be set and you will either be held in custody or post the bond to get out. I suggest getting an attorney to clear it up.

5. Hire an attorney.

Have them "quash" the warrant.

You don't want to be picked up at some random time by the cops and arrested.

Sal Sheikh practices law in Illinois.This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. You should always speak directly with a lawyer in your State. It is difficult to evaluate your legal problem without a consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.