If i decline the offer by DA will they give me another one or it will lead me to trial?

Glendale, CA |

I have a money laundering case, its 1.5 years old because the dont really have enough evidence against me. The case is for 70k but the offer is 3 years of probation 52k$ to pay and a felony record. I dont wanna take that offer because i dont have that kind of money and can not have felony too. So is it worth it to hire an attorney and will he give me a better offer than my public defender that i have now?

It will depend on the facts. Right now no one knows the facts better than you and you attorney. So does your attorney say?

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Sean Anthony Brady

Sean Anthony Brady

Mr. Cernyar is 100% correct. Although, to be clear, I believe his last question is a rhetorical one, meaning he does not want you to answer it here on a public forum. He is simply saying, talk to your attorney about your case and possible outcomes if you reject the deal.

If you won't take the offer, you are likely going to trial. The offer isn't likely to get much better than probation. If a new attorney comes in, it will depend on what additional evidence can be developed to make the DA change its position. Merely getting a new lawyer may not be a game changer. You need to have someone able to persuade the DA their case is garbage and you're willing to go to trial.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Sean Anthony Brady

Sean Anthony Brady

Just to add to Mr. Solis's comment about hiring new counsel (and I agree with his comment that new, private counsel will not necessarily mean a better deal), the benefit of having private counsel is that they have more time to spend evaluating your case and making arguments to the prosecutor than does the public defender who has a million cases on his shoulders to deal with. Private counsel MIGHT get better results, but it is no guarantee.

I agree with my colleagues.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with each of my colleagues comments and add a few more: Unless you have the financial resources for private counsel to thoroughly investigate your case, make the necessary motions, and take it to trial -- I very much doubt you will get a better deal down the road just because you have private counsel. In fact, the offer may disappear. You do not state where you are at in the process. Many times, if you are able to play the game long enough, the offer will improve with time. BTW, if charges were filed against you they have enough evidence to take the case to trial. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

My colleagues are correct. The case will be driven by the facts and the evidence, not necessarily by who serves as your attorney. Put another way, don't expect the offer to get better simply because you bring in a private defense attorney.

I agree with my colleague. It all depends on the facts of the case, the evidence already collected and so many more things. If you are concerned with the Felony on your background, it can be expunged but you will have it for a while. Everything else depends on the facts of your case.

The District Attorney needs to be persuaded by an attorney who is working up a vigorous defense for you to get a better deal. Private attorneys are paid to be just your attorney whereas Public Defenders often have 100s of cases and not much time to put into your case. Money Laundering cases are often complex and time consuming. So you need a lawyer to put in the time. Putting in the time is what gets better results. It is up to you if your PD is not doing the job. Please feel free to give us a call if you would like a free consult.

Brian Michaels
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
www.socalcrimdefense.com
310-991-9179