If I declare myself a "Sovereign Citizen" can I avoid paying taxes?

Ithaca, NY |

I am supposed to make $105,000 a year, however, too much of it goes to the state/federal government. I am learning that declaring myself sovereign from the US government?

I just finished a federal criminal case where scores of people were convicted and sent to prison for "protesting" the tax code and suggesting they were "sovereigns" not obliged to pay taxes. This fantasy has been throroughly repudiated.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. That has been rejected by the courts. You could face civil and criminal penalties for not paying your taxes.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Please see the links referenced in my answer to this questioner: http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/why-do-the-courts-try-and-trick-you-into-having-yo-845509.html

The answer to your question is "no."

4. No.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

5. No. Also consult with an experienced federal criminal defense lawyer and a CPA.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

6. No.....you will end up incarcerated if you try that one.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.