Skip to main content

If I crash my car and left the scene due to injuries, what do I do?

Houston, TX |

It began raining last night and as I was making a turn (speed limit was 60) my tires slipped out and I popped the curb and got into a pretty serious car accident. The steering wheel slammed into my abdomen pretty hard and I couldn't breathe. Lucky a friend just so happened to be passing by told me to get into the car so he could take me to the emergency room. After assessing my injuries, we deemed that it wasn't necessary to go to the hospital so he just took me to his house where I passed out. I had basically left the scene and haven't called the cops or my insurance cause I was still in shock and it hasn't completely set in yet. What do I do? No one was involved besides me, my friends had left their wallets in my car and they had been contacted, but they had no idea what had happened

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Hit and run is a serious criminal charge in Texas when a person is accused of not stopping after a car crash involving death, injury, or property damage. It is also known as leaving the scene of an accident. Here there was no injury to another, but maybe property damage. The offense can range from a misdemeanor to a felony, depending on the degree of damage if any.

    The police can charge you with leaving the scene of an accident if they are able to link a particular vehicle to the crash, then show that you were driving that vehicle.

  2. If you damaged no other property, and injured no one else, then you have not failed to stop and render aid. You can report the matter to your own collision insurer (if you have that coverage). From your brief description, it sounds like no other party was at fault. If you believe otherwise, you must make a liability claim within the applicable limitations period(s). If you wish to make a liability claim against a governmental entity, then shorter notice period apply also.

    John Zgourides

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

  3. You should report this to your insurance carrier right away. If you had collision coverage on your car, your carrier has to pay for your repairs, regardless of your "fault" in causing this one-car accident. Furthermore, if you struck a fence, tree, barricade, etc., by reporting the accident to your carrier, you will be covered for any property damage claims made by any person, entity or even governmental agency. Obviously, you should report it to the police. Clearly, anything you tell them, even the truth, may be looked on with a suspicious eye, but at least you will not be accused of failing to report the incident. Depending on how may hours have gone by, it is very questionable if a blood-alcohol test will be of any use to the police, if even demanded by them. However, if you were drinking, you may want to consult with a criminal defense attorney A.S.A.P. before calling the police.

  4. Call a criminal defense attorney for advice. Don't post admissions on the Internet.

    All information provided here is for educational use only and does not constitute legal advice nor establish any attorney-client relationship. Paul H. Cannon is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas. Laws vary from State-to-State. For legal advice and opinions, please retain the services of a lawyer licensed to practice in the appropriate state or jurisdiction.